Wearing Confidence: How I Deal With Social Anxiety

Growing up, the simplest of things scared me—saying ‘here’ when the teacher called role, telling the waitress my order at a restaurant, and even in middle/high school I would be asked on dates but reject them because of social anxiety. When I was 16, I failed my drivers test 3 times, having a nervous breakdown right before taking each test. There have even been circumstances in the last few years where I didn’t show up to interviews because of it; I literally have a lifetime of examples I could share.

One of the reasons I’m writing this on my blog is because it is something that I still deal with on a daily basis. However, over the years I have learned to gain a lot more confidence in myself—specifically through what I wear.

My older sister brought up a great point a few weeks ago—that when she dresses for success she feels confident: something I realized I truly live by. People used to ask me why I dressed up for school everyday, and the answer I gave is because I wanted to. But now, I realize I crave the confidence that it gives me. I know I have a good sense of style—it is the one attribute I don’t feel modest about labeling myself.

Another reason I decided to share this is I don’t think people necessarily understand that having a strong online presence doesn’t mean you are loud and all about sharing everything in real life. In reality, I’m a pretty quiet person (unless you know me 😉) who prefers staying in and watching a movie with a good group of friends over going out. I love shopping alone, I love grabbing coffee alone, I love going to the beach alone—and I don’t think there’s anything wrong or weird about it. It’s simply a personal preference.

Maybe someone is reading this who can totally relate, as for a while I had no idea there are in fact many people who are just like me. What are your thoughts on dressing for success/confidence? Leave a comment below 🙂 Thanks if you made it this far!

img_3304

Myself and two of my squad members <3

31 Comments

1. December 5, 2016 / 10:19 pm

Style totally gives me a sense of confidence too! Some of my friends who aren’t so into fashion don’t really understand why I place so much emphasis on it but it’s interesting how different things make different people feel… different ways. Just because dressing a certain way helps me feel confident doesn’t necessarily mean that it helps someone else feel the same way though and it’s totally fine. Just like you, I’m a pretty introverted person even though I have a strong online presence! I love good conversations and meeting awesome people but I always prefer staying in rather than going out too lol! Glad I’m not the only one 🙂 xo, sharon

• CamilleLenore
      December 6, 2016 / 5:56 pm

Thanks for sharing Sharon 🙂

2. December 5, 2016 / 10:25 pm

You look lovely with your girlfriends! It’s great that you found a really great way to add confidence through fashion and your personal style though. 🙂 I find dressing up really helps enhance my moods. 🙂 I would never have thought you were introverted, but writing is a really beautiful way of kind of communicating in your own time and space, and a great way to get to know others in your own time. 🙂

Xo,
    Miki

• CamilleLenore
      December 6, 2016 / 5:55 pm

It certainly is a mood enhancer 🙂

3. December 6, 2016 / 7:35 am

I totally agree and thank you for sharing. I definitely experience social anxiety every now and then and obviously social media only shows a glimpse of our lives. I’m happy you wrote this and started a conversation!

• CamilleLenore
      December 6, 2016 / 5:54 pm

Thank you for joining the conversation as well 🙂

4. December 6, 2016 / 8:28 am

I’m so proud of you beautiful, that’s a big deal dealing with your fears. I think we all have to go through that at some point in our lives so you’re not alone beautiful. Great job 😘

• CamilleLenore
      December 6, 2016 / 5:54 pm

Thanks so much deeded 🙂

5. Jo
    December 6, 2016 / 10:23 am

I love to dress up for work or any other occasion as it does give me the confidence no matter where I go. I have to do presentations/meetings all the time for my job so at the beginning I always got the anxiety especially the night before. I’ve learned how to deal with it through out the years. That being said, you aren’t alone beautiful!

xo,
    Jo

• CamilleLenore
      December 6, 2016 / 5:54 pm

Ahh that’s so great that you’re able to do constant presentations! I definitely need work in that area… 🙂

6. December 6, 2016 / 11:33 am

You and your girlfriends are beautiful babe! I totally hear you and agree with you, dressing up for any occasion, even if its just going to school does give us the much needed confidence. More over, there is no harm in decking up and feeling beautiful inside and out. Social anxiety is something a lot of people face and your tip sure should definitely help them.
    xx, Kusum | http://www.sveeteskapes.com

• CamilleLenore
      December 6, 2016 / 5:53 pm

7. December 6, 2016 / 2:06 pm

I use to be incredibly shy and still am to some degree. Getting up in front of a crowd still scares me to no end but I find when I have the right outfit and am comfortable with the way I look, it helps so much! Loved this post honey!

Helen xx

• CamilleLenore
      December 6, 2016 / 5:53 pm

Thanks Helen! <3

8. December 6, 2016 / 4:03 pm

I can definitely relate to this. It’s bizarre, because growing up I was a major social butterfly and life of the party. As I got older, I began struggling with so many issues (depression, anxiety, an eating disorder, two abusive relationships) and it completely changed how I felt in a social setting. Now, I find that I’m one to prefer staying in over going out, I’m terrified to talk on the phone, and I freak out just being around my boyfriend’s family. But it truly is amazing the kind of confidence that clothing can bring. When I know that I look good, I feel better and brighter, and I’m more likely to open up. Thank goodness for fashion, right?!

Stephanie // SheSawStyle.com

• CamilleLenore
      December 6, 2016 / 5:52 pm

Glad to know I’m not the only one 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

9. December 6, 2016 / 6:40 pm

Thank you for sharing this personal post. I think confidence really makes someone stand out no matter what. Confidence is something that you grow into and of course it helps when you are wearing a fabulous outfit too. =) I’m like you, as much as I am on social media, I am a little more introverted and prefer quiet nights at home than going out. You always look amazing and have great style! xoxo, Christine

10. December 6, 2016 / 7:50 pm

I can relate to this somewhat.. I’ve always been known as the “shy girl” growing up, and I really wanted to change that so I started blogging and modeling almost at the same time. It’s slowly helping 🙂

11. December 6, 2016 / 7:52 pm

Thanks for sharing this post! I can definitely say that how I dress influence my confidence, the way I walk, the way I talk!

I’m also someone who loves to do stuff alone! Like shopping haha! I think it’s totally normal!

Bisous, Josie

12. December 7, 2016 / 10:12 am

Camille, thanks so much for sharing your wondeful post and a little bit about yourself! I can truly relate to a lot of your experiences here. I am also a quiet person and fashion is totally my outlet for expressing myself. Growing up through high school and well into my twenties, my source of confidence was my sense of style too, and yes, it still is! Sadly for a time in my younger years, I used to think that being quiet and shy were more of afflictions than positive traits. I went to school with a lot of ‘big personalities’ and quietness was not generally encouraged. But now that I’m older, I’ve realized that being an introvert is what led me to do what I love and to think creatively! Keep up the great work on your blog and on Insta! I always enjoy seeing what you’re wearing next and am always inspired by your gorgeous style!

xoxo, Jo

• CamilleLenore
      December 7, 2016 / 12:33 pm

Thank you so so much Jo! It means a lot 🙂

13. December 7, 2016 / 1:11 pm

It’s very brave of you to be so open with your readers. It is so nice to know more about you. I love staying in watching a good movie over going out too ! Feeling good in what you are wearing is so important. It really does give you a confidence boost when you feel good about yourself !
    xx, gracie
    snappedbygracie.com

14. December 7, 2016 / 2:03 pm

Aww i love this. Thanks for sharing my dear.
    xoxo, Rachel

15. December 7, 2016 / 2:35 pm

I have very similar habits. I am chatty with people I know, and on occasion chatty with people I don’t if I’m feeling energetic, but I feel most comfortable when I’m alone. I can even be quite and subdued around my friends. Sometimes I just don’t have the energy or the confidence to be in public. I hear you girl. And dressing for success is a great confidence booster. I believe that when you look good, you feel good.

xx Yasmin

16. December 7, 2016 / 9:02 pm

Thanks for sharing this! I can relate because I love dressing up because it does give me a boost of confident I never knew I had. I do get self conscious at times especially when I walk into a room full of people and all eyes are on me! So I get it! Thank you so much for sharing this as it is an important topic!

Linh

17. December 8, 2016 / 10:07 pm

Aw babe this was such an amazing post! Thank you for having the courage to be so open and honest. Styling and fashion definitely helps me be more confident myself. You know how the saying goes when you look good – you feel good? Yeah that’s 100% true! And omg I totally agree! I find writing to be one of my strengths but having a strong online presence does not equate to a social butterfly in person. I’m actually pretty quiet and introverted myself, unless I’m really comfortable with the person. I have huge social anxiety too when I’m immersed in a group of strangers but blogging definitely let me open up a little more and I find it getting easier to be more social and less awkwardly scared.

XO Jenn

18. December 9, 2016 / 10:20 pm

I loved reading this post dear. I actually struggle with social anxieties and I’m a major introvert. 🙂 This post was a good reminder for me to always stay confident in myself. I love the blogging community and how we share our stories to help build each other up.

xoxo

19. December 10, 2016 / 4:16 am

Definitely dressing better and my blogging career have give me a lot more confident than what I use to have before. i always felt to awkward and weird hahaha but definitely fashion helps me feel better sometimes even thought sound shallow its true. Really enjoy reading this post.

xo
    Marcy

20. December 12, 2016 / 1:10 pm

Thanks for sharing about your anxiety darling. We all have our own things that make us anxious but discussing it to try help others, and yourself is a great way to grow as a person. I say dress up every day like it’s your funeral haha xx

21. December 13, 2016 / 8:48 pm

You definitely dress yourself with confidence in all of your posts! I have social anxiety as well and it’s so hard to deal with when being a blogger!! Your post is really nice to empathize with and I definitely get it!
    Jordan xx